Volunteering England defines volunteering as any activity that involves spending time, unpaid, doing something that aims to benefit the environment or someone (individuals or groups) other than, or in addition to, close relatives. Volunteering is something that an individual freely decides to do.
Every year over 20 million people across England and the UK volunteer, donating more than 100 million hours to their communities every week. It is estimated that the annual economic value of volunteering is worth in excess of £40 billion to our economy.
Volunteering can be flexible and depend on your interests, time and skills. Southall has many charities and community groups who rely upon volunteers to help with their daily work. This could be someone who welcomes visitors, provides advice about finances or helps provide food for the homeless.
Volunteering offers many benefits :
• It's fun!
• It improves your health and happiness
• Get involved in your community
• Something different
• Make new friends
• Learn new skills
• Develop the skills you already have
• Help local people and causes
Why SCA ?
Volunteers contribute to a large part of the work at Southall Community Alliance (SCA) and we are always looking for volunteers to support our projects and activities throughout the year.
Working voluntarily with local organisations and residents is both very worthwhile and rewarding. It also offers an opportunity to work with like-minded colleagues.
Volunteering will give you a chance to give back, improve your skills and gain valuable experience.
Volunteering Opportunities :
We need volunteers who can assist in all areas of work :
• Meeting and greeting users at our Resource Centre
• supporting our administrative work
• helping arrange events, activities and stalls
• producing promotional materials publicity
• carrying out research and gathering data about local issues and needs
The SCA office is open Monday to Friday, 10.00 am to 5.00 and from 10.00 am – 1.00 pm on Saturdays.
How to apply
If you are interested in volunteering at SCA please send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org that provides :
• a short statement (maximum one A4 page) explaining why you would like to volunteer and your suitability for the role,
• your CV
• Please indicate your availability both in terms of days per week and hours per day and any end date.
• an indication of any particular areas of interest.
We aim to respond to all volunteering enquiries within 5 working days.