Southall Community Alliance (SCA) will train 20+ Diabetes Community Champions, over a 6 month period, from a diverse range of backgrounds and communities around Ealing. The provision of training courses, at a variety of locations, will ensure that volunteers from major town centres in Ealing (ie Southall, Northolt and Greenford) are recruited and then are able to go back into their communities to raise awareness of type 2 diabetes risk factors and the availability of diabetes support services.
The Consortia includes Ealing CVS, Acton Community Forum, GNP Federation and Lido Centre, ensuring comprehensive coverage across Ealing.
The course content will include :
• Understanding Type 2 diabetes
• Identifying risk factors and related complication ie CVD
• Reducing risk factors â€“ dietary, lifestyle change, physical activity levels etc
• Providing advice and record keeping
• Diabetes myth busting
• Referral to local support services â€“ ie DICE, Right Start
Following the training the volunteer Champions will be required to attend outreach events, in their various neighbourhoods, where they can use their new found skills to advise residents about diabetes related issues.